Paying Homage to the World Tourism Day at a Hotel in Cozumel
Every year, September 27th is celebrated as World Tourism Day, an occasion that highlights the importance of tourism and its cultural, economic, and social contributions. This day offers a unique opportunity to reflect on the importance of travel and explore how different destinations commemorate this event.
One remarkable destination is Cozumel, Mexico, a tropical paradise known for its turquoise waters, fine white sand, magnificent coral reefs, and significant cultural heritage. In this blog post, we’ll learn more about the essence of World Tourism Day and discover how a hotel in Cozumel pay homage to the majestic region they are located in.
Understanding World Tourism Day
World Tourism Day was established by the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) in 1980 to raise awareness about the role of tourism in global development and to highlight its potential as a tool for sustainable growth.
Each year, a specific theme is chosen to address current tourism-related issues and encourage discussions on ways to maximize the benefits of tourism while minimizing its negative impacts. Some notable themes from previous years include:
- 2018: Tourism and the Digital Transformation.
- 2019: Tourism and Jobs: A Better Future for All.
- 2020: Tourism and Rural Development.
One of World Tourism Day’s central themes is, naturally, promoting sustainable tourism. This involves ensuring that tourism activities have a positive impact on the environment, local communities, and cultural heritage.
Sustainable tourism aims to balance economic growth with the conservation of natural resources and the welfare of local populations. Let’s find out more about how this holiday is consolidated in Mexico and the ideal hotel in Cozumel to celebrate it.
Efforts that Lead to Success
Cozumel celebrates World Tourism Day with a mix of cultural events, environmental initiatives, and community engagement activities. These efforts highlight the island’s commitment to responsible tourism and showcase its unique cultural and natural treasures:
- 1. Eco-Tourism Initiatives. Given its stunning natural environment, Cozumel places a strong emphasis on eco-tourism. The island organizes beach clean-up drives, tree-planting activities, and educational workshops to promote environmental awareness and sustainable tourism practices.
- 2. Local Artisans and Markets. Cozumel takes pride in its local artisans who create intricate crafts and artworks. On this day, there are often special markets or exhibitions where visitors can engage with these artisans and purchase charming souvenirs that support the local economy.
- 3. Marine Conservation Workshops. Marine ecosystem significantly draws thousands of tourists. World Tourism Day provides an opportunity to educate visitors about the importance of preserving coral reefs and marine life through workshops and informative sessions.
- 4. Community Engagement. The island encourages visitors to interact with the local community through cultural exchanges, volunteer programs, and homestay experiences.
- 5. Promotion of Responsible Tourism. Tourism authorities emphasize responsible travel practices. This includes promoting ethical wildlife interactions, reducing single-use plastics, and supporting businesses that prioritize sustainability.
A responsible and mindful hotel in Cozumel
To celebrate World Tourism Day, there is no better action than to choose a conscious hotel to contribute with your grain of sand. Discover Presidente Intercontinental Cozumel Resort & Spa, a 5-star hotel that mixes elegance and luxury with sustainable practices.
Our commitment to the environment is evident in our energy-efficient policies, waste reduction initiatives, and use of locally sourced, organic ingredients in our cuisine, to mention a few.
Join us in celebrating World Tourism Day by booking our Cozumel suites and participating in different activities that connect you to the local culture and environment. Dive into the crystal-clear waters of the Caribbean to explore majestic marine life, take part in community-led conservation projects, and discover Cozumel luxury resort that is committed to environmental care, so you can enjoy responsible vacations and continue experiencing a natural and well-preserved destination.