Resorts in Cozumel with Sustainability
Sustainability has become increasingly important in recent years as the world faces pressing challenges such as climate change, resource depletion, and social inequality. Adopting sustainable practices is essential to ensure the well-being of people and the planet, thus creating a better future for all. The good news is that resorts in Cozumel are well aware of this situation.
This small island off the eastern coast of Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula has been promoting sustainability and eco-tourism lately. One of the ways that Cozumel is working towards sustainability is by preserving and protecting its natural resources. The island is home to several protected areas, including the Cozumel Reefs National Marine Park, which covers over 30 kilometers of coral reefs and houses a diverse array of marine species. The park is closely monitored by local authorities and is off-limits to fishing and other harmful activities, ensuring that reefs remain healthy and vibrant for future generations.
In addition to protecting the environment, this Mexican gem is committed to promoting sustainable tourism practices. As a result, many hotels and resorts in Cozumel have implemented eco-friendly measures, such as using renewable energy sources, reducing waste and water usage, and supporting local businesses and artisans. Today, we will share with you all the initiatives that Presidente InterContinental® Cozumel Resort & Spa carries out daily to make a positive impact on the planet.
Sustainable Practices Implemented at our Resort in Cozumel
We know the weight and importance of actions. That is why we prioritize sustainability in all of our hotels and resorts, not just in Cozumel. Here is a list of our main eco-activities.
- Coral and reef care. Presidente InterContinental® Cozumel Resort & Spa is in front of the Cozumel Reef Marine Park, home to one of the best reef systems in the world. We ensure the care and good treatment of the natural areas, even during underwater activities like scuba diving and snorkeling.
- Clean energy. We have secured a corporate contract for clean energy usage and prioritize energy-efficient light bulbs and solar panels across our properties.
- Water care. We constantly carry out campaigns with collaborators and guests to raise awareness of the proper use of this vital resource.
- Sustainable Development Goals. We have implemented diagnostics and improvement plans for each property to align ourselves with the 17 SDGs set forth by the United Nations.
- Use of ecological cleaning products. The cleaning products we use are produced locally and ecologically by ECOLAB. This company specializes in the use and handling of chemical products to protect the environment.
- Waste management. We have implemented policies on the correct management of PET, glass, and vegetable oil waste.
- Plastic management. We have reduced the use of straws and single-use plastic bottles and eliminated plastic in hotel and restaurant bathrooms.
- Vegetarian food options. Our restaurants’ menus include healthy and vegetarian meal options.
- Tackling inequality. We strive to promote employment opportunities that prioritize dignity and are free from discrimination.
This and more is what we do at Grupo Presidente. Experience a sustainable vacation like no other at Presidente InterContinental® Cozumel Resort & Spa, the best resort in Cozumel. We invite you to join us in our commitment to sustainability while enjoying everything that we offer.